April 23, 2024

Authorities Wednesday launched video footage of an Encanto-area police standoff that ended when a SWAT sniper fatally shot a person suspected of gunning down his mom earlier than exchanging gunfire with officers.

The photographs, recorded by cameras worn on San Diego Police Division officers’ uniforms and mounted on an SDPD patrol helicopter, depict the fraught occasions that led to the dying of 43-year-old Jesse Glen Nelson on Aug. 28.

Shortly after 8:30 p.m. that day, a patrol officer responding to stories of a capturing at a house within the 500 block of Iona Drive arrived to search out 74-year-old Maria Rosario Morales and a canine mendacity on a driveway in entrance of the home with gunshot wounds, in response to police.

Because the officer approached the residence close to Market and sixtieth streets, Nelson allegedly shot at him from inside, prompting the officer to retreat behind his parked cruiser and return hearth.

After extra officers arrived, police approached the downed lady from behind a squad automotive, pulled her off the driveway and introduced her to a secure spot down the road. Throughout the course of, the officers as soon as once more got here beneath hearth from inside the home, police mentioned.

Regardless of lifesaving efforts on the a part of police and paramedics, Morales died on the scene. The canine additionally didn’t survive its wounds.

Because the standoff obtained underway, police referred to as in particular weapons and techniques personnel to take up positions round the home.

At about 9 p.m., an infrared digital camera on the helicopter circling overhead captured photographs of Nelson working out of the house and right into a storage on the property. For about an hour, the suspect remained holed up there, ignoring officers’ orders to give up and infrequently throwing issues out a window towards them.

Nelson then set hearth to the storage and fled into the yard, in response to police. Inside minutes, the blaze engulfed the construction, killing a canine trapped inside it.

Shortly after 10 p.m., the helicopter crew noticed Nelson behind the burning storage, carrying an assault rifle. Moments later, a SWAT officer positioned on the roof of a next-door residence shot the suspect, sending him collapsing onto the bottom.

Paramedics took Nelson to a hospital, the place he was pronounced useless shortly after arrival.

No police personnel had been injured through the violent encounter.

Along with the assault rifle, officers discovered a pistol and a shotgun on the residence. The suspect had fired every of the weapons through the confrontation, in response to police.

There additionally had been a number of different weapons and ammunition on the property, police mentioned.