The California Freeway Patrol Wednesday launched a set of site visitors security legal guidelines handed this 12 months and signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom that take impact Jan.1, 2024.
A few of the legal guidelines embrace:
- AB 256, automobile registration, amends current legislation requiring present month and 12 months tabs to be displayed on the registered automobile’s rear license plate. As of July 1, 2024 and till Jan. 1, 2030, a violation of auto registration shall not be the only foundation for any enforcement motion earlier than the second month after the month of expiration of a automobile’s registration. Late registration charges from the Division of Motor Automobiles nonetheless apply.
- AB 925, automobile removing, requires legislation enforcement to confirm the shortage of present automobile registration with the DMV earlier than towing a automobile for expired registration longer than six months and prohibits the automobile from being towed if the officer or site visitors enforcement official doesn’t have speedy entry to these information.
- AB 413 is designed to extend visibility at crosswalks by prohibiting parking or stopping a automobile alongside a curb at the very least 20 ft from a marked crosswalk or 15 ft of a crosswalk the place a curb extension is current. The regulation solely applies to the facet of the street of the automobile’s strategy to the crosswalk. Native jurisdictions could set up completely different distances by marking areas with indicators or paint.
- AB 436, cruising, removes metropolis and county authority to manage cruising through native ordinances. Moreover, the legislation legalizes “low rider” automobiles permitting them to cruise streets by eradicating the peak restriction on lowered automobiles.
- AB 641, catalytic converters, redefines an car dismantler to incorporate people in possession of 9 or extra catalytic converters. The legislation additionally creates penalties for these illegally performing as an auto dismantler. Restore outlets and different entities with a professional function for having catalytic converters shall be excluded from penalty.
- AB 1519, makes it unlawful to take away a Automobile Identification Quantity from a catalytic converter or to own three or extra catalytic converters which have had their VIN markings eliminated.
- SB 55, requires a motorcar supplier or retailer to have the catalytic converter engraved or etched with the VIN quantity earlier than a brand new or used truck or automotive is bought.
- SB 88, would require drivers and their automobiles that are utilized by a neighborhood academic company to offer pupil transportation for compensation, and to satisfy sure security necessities.
- SB 775, zero-emission faculty buses, authorizes a college district, county workplace of schooling, or constitution faculty utilizing a zero-emission faculty bus to move pupils at or beneath the Twelfth-grade stage to put signage on the rear of the bus figuring out it as a clear air zero-emission bus. It additionally authorizes the CHP to difficulty pointers governing the dimensions and placement of that signage.
Metropolis Information Service contributed to this text.