December 6, 2023
An space of the house charred by the hearth. Courtesy Oceanside Fireplace Division

An unattended candle on the second story of an Oceanside house complicated Friday was blamed for a fireplace that displaced six residents and brought about the evacuation of neighboring residents, officers stated.

The fireplace was reported at 1:20 a.m. Friday on the Presidio Flats on 4490 Mission Ave., in accordance with the Oceanside Fireplace Division.

The fireplace, which originated on the second flooring due to an unattended candle, was detected by a functioning smoke alarm, the hearth division stated.

“We’re grateful that the put in smoke alarm detected the hearth in its early phases, stopping a doubtlessly disastrous consequence,” the OFD stated in a press release. “We urge our neighborhood members to train warning when utilizing candles and to make sure that smoke alarms of their houses are in working order.”